With R.O.O.T.S. lead single Right Round, Flo Rida reworked Dead or Alive’s You Spin Me Round into a strip club anthem—a concept that, while ridiculous on paper, resulted in one of ‘09’s biggest hits to date. After hearing his latest single selection, all I can say is that Flo’s outdone himself. Remember I’m Blue, the ‘99 hit that was ultra-catchy way back when, but now exists as nothing but a slightly irritating memory? Well, prepare to hear that “Da ba dee, da ba die” chorus about a thousand more times—on Sugar, the emcee teams up with fellow Floridian DJ Montay and Surveillance singer Wynter Gordon to bring one-hit-wonder Eiffel 65’s one hit into the 21st century. Flo’s flow is tight and propulsive as he pays tribute to a woman whose kisses are sweet as candy, but it’s the chorus that will have this record on repeat in listeners’ heads (whether they like it or not). Easily as addictive as the titular substance, Sugar is sure to have R.O.O.T.S. flying off record store shelves on the 31st.
Written by richard on 03/9/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.