If you know anything about Flipsyde, you know that the Oakland trio aren’t shy about their musical attempts to uplift the people and spark some real revolution. So imagine my surprise when they chose to cover Yung Joc’s It’s Goin’ Down for their The DJBooth debut (also a world premiere!). Actually, Flip’s Down couldn’t be less like Joc’s – instead of a thirst for trips to the mall and expensive cars, Piper (emcee), Steve Knight (vocals/guitar) and Dave Lopez (lead guitar) are only thirsty to live life to the fullest; although they do share an appreciation of beautiful women. Notably, Kardinal Offishall handles production duties, helping to put together a beat that balances summertime fun with a darker, more serious core, all set off my Knight’s raspy vocals on the hook: “Been in the dark so long but now I’m alright.” Throw in Piper’s strong rhymes and some of that aforementioned slinky guitar work from Lopez and you’ve got the perfect way to get the people released for Flipsyde’s IGNITE mixtape (a part of their F.I.G.H.T. mixtape series), set to drop via The DJBooth tomorrow, Tuesday, January 24. Come on, you knew it was…wait for it…goin’ down.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/23/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"One More Trip" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.