If you haven’t been paying close attention to the rap blogosphere of late, you may be wondering: who the hell are Jacob “Pop Life” Barrow and Deen Whitter of First Serve, and why do they look so much like two-thirds of De La Soul? To explain, Dave and Posdnous have stepped into the roles of the Queens up-and-comers for their latest project, a concept album chronicling an enterprising hip-hop duo’s rise to prominence. Oh, and it all takes place in a wacky cartoon world. Confused? Just check out their latest single/video and it’ll all start to make sense. Must B The Music finds producers Chokalate and Khalid serving up a bouncy, disco-informed beat as the Golden Age icons use their caricatured personae as vehicles for satirical commentary on the industry—as well as, inexplicably but entertainingly, some rock-solid relationship advice for the fellas in the house. Feeling this record’s quirky, retro vibes? Then stay tuned for further freshness leading up to the April 2, release of First Serve: The Album. In the meantime, fans can also check out album prelude The Goon Time Mixtape, released to the ‘net back in December.
Written by richard on 02/8/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.