If you haven’t been paying close attention to the rap blogosphere of late, you may be wondering: who the hell are Jacob “Pop Life” Barrow and Deen Whitter of First Serve, and why do they look so much like two-thirds of De La Soul? To explain, Dave and Posdnous have stepped into the roles of the Queens up-and-comers for their latest project, a concept album chronicling an enterprising hip-hop duo’s rise to prominence. Oh, and it all takes place in a wacky cartoon world. Confused? Just check out their latest single/video and it’ll all start to make sense. Must B The Music finds producers Chokalate and Khalid serving up a bouncy, disco-informed beat as the Golden Age icons use their caricatured personae as vehicles for satirical commentary on the industry—as well as, inexplicably but entertainingly, some rock-solid relationship advice for the fellas in the house. Feeling this record’s quirky, retro vibes? Then stay tuned for further freshness leading up to the April 2, release of First Serve: The Album. In the meantime, fans can also check out album prelude The Goon Time Mixtape, released to the ‘net back in December.
Written by richard on 02/8/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.