If you haven’t been paying close attention to the rap blogosphere of late, you may be wondering: who the hell are Jacob “Pop Life” Barrow and Deen Whitter of First Serve, and why do they look so much like two-thirds of De La Soul? To explain, Dave and Posdnous have stepped into the roles of the Queens up-and-comers for their latest project, a concept album chronicling an enterprising hip-hop duo’s rise to prominence. Oh, and it all takes place in a wacky cartoon world. Confused? Just check out their latest single/video and it’ll all start to make sense. Must B The Music finds producers Chokalate and Khalid serving up a bouncy, disco-informed beat as the Golden Age icons use their caricatured personae as vehicles for satirical commentary on the industry—as well as, inexplicably but entertainingly, some rock-solid relationship advice for the fellas in the house. Feeling this record’s quirky, retro vibes? Then stay tuned for further freshness leading up to the April 2, release of First Serve: The Album. In the meantime, fans can also check out album prelude The Goon Time Mixtape, released to the ‘net back in December.
Listen to More: First Serve
Written by richard on 02/8/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.