If you haven’t been paying close attention to the rap blogosphere of late, you may be wondering: who the hell are Jacob “Pop Life” Barrow and Deen Whitter of First Serve, and why do they look so much like two-thirds of De La Soul? To explain, Dave and Posdnous have stepped into the roles of the Queens up-and-comers for their latest project, a concept album chronicling an enterprising hip-hop duo’s rise to prominence. Oh, and it all takes place in a wacky cartoon world. Confused? Just check out their latest single/video and it’ll all start to make sense. Must B The Music finds producers Chokalate and Khalid serving up a bouncy, disco-informed beat as the Golden Age icons use their caricatured personae as vehicles for satirical commentary on the industry—as well as, inexplicably but entertainingly, some rock-solid relationship advice for the fellas in the house. Feeling this record’s quirky, retro vibes? Then stay tuned for further freshness leading up to the April 2, release of First Serve: The Album. In the meantime, fans can also check out album prelude The Goon Time Mixtape, released to the ‘net back in December.
Written by richard on 02/8/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.