Update: We have added the Demerara J-directed, Bill Howard-edited visuals for First Division’s Life & Death.
For Shylow and Expertise of First Division, hip-hop music is a matter of Life & Death. And the same could be said about their rivals in the game, judging by the sheer lyrical aggression the Ontario reppers showcase on their latest mixtape single (an exclusive world premiere). Like the group’s Booth debut, The Trade, this cut is boom-bap to its core. Over project collaborator Marco Polo‘s bass-heavy, brass-fortified boardwork (complete with cuts and scratches by DJ Linx), the partners-in-rhyme engage in a little old-school line-trading as they let loose at the competition. The resultant cut will indeed “[force] cowards to flee, and doubters to reevaluate your fate before the hour [they] retaliate.” It’s also likely to leave underground heads craving more. If you fall into the aforementioned category, be sure to cop First Division’s Critical Path Pt. 1 EP when it drops January 21, via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 01/16/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Trade" (2013)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.