Update: We have added the Demerara J-directed, Bill Howard-edited visuals for First Division’s Life & Death.
For Shylow and Expertise of First Division, hip-hop music is a matter of Life & Death. And the same could be said about their rivals in the game, judging by the sheer lyrical aggression the Ontario reppers showcase on their latest mixtape single (an exclusive world premiere). Like the group’s Booth debut, The Trade, this cut is boom-bap to its core. Over project collaborator Marco Polo‘s bass-heavy, brass-fortified boardwork (complete with cuts and scratches by DJ Linx), the partners-in-rhyme engage in a little old-school line-trading as they let loose at the competition. The resultant cut will indeed “[force] cowards to flee, and doubters to reevaluate your fate before the hour [they] retaliate.” It’s also likely to leave underground heads craving more. If you fall into the aforementioned category, be sure to cop First Division’s Critical Path Pt. 1 EP when it drops January 21, via The DJBooth.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Trade" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!