I’m slightly behind schedule on my blurb-writing today, and I hold Booth newcomer Finale partially responsible; in the process of checking out his MySpace blog, I came across “Super Finale,” a brief, frustrating and weirdly addictive Mario Bros.-inspired minigame created to promote his forthcoming LP. It’s certainly unique and creative, and those two adjectives apply equally well to the Motown emcee’s first feature, One Man Show. Leaked to the ‘net last month, the record showcases Finale as an up-and-comer with plenty of ideas and a distinctive way of expressing them. While the dense, clipped flow he employs here means that it may take more than one spin to catch his drift, his lyrical mix of braggadocio, storytelling and wordplay-driven tangents, as well as fellow Detroit native Black Milk‘s classical-sounding, arpeggiated synth backdrop make for rewarding second and third listens. Finale’s first full-length album, A Pipe Dream and a Promise, is set to drop April 7th.
Written by richard on 03/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's Mine" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.