As the cliché goes, the road to success is paved with failure—failure which, for those in the entertainment industry, takes the form of public embarrassment—and the ones who do win out are those who had the courage to pick themselves up and soldier on despite early stumbles. On new single Walkin’ By, an exclusive world premiere, Booth newcomer FeSo teaches listeners a lesson in perseverance, harking back to his very first tentative steps into the rap game. Over CMart‘s soulfully poignant beat, sampled from Nina Simone’s Don’t You Pay Them No Mind, the indie emcee describes how a few awkward cipher performances inspired him to start penning rhymes. Though, as he explains, his first couplets were far from dazzling, he didn’t let homies’ unenthusiastic reactions take the wind out of his sails: “Even though they weren’t impressed, I kept at it ‘cause comfort kills success.” Matte lends a hand on the middle, reflecting on the backbreaking (but rewarding) labor of making one’s way in the game. FeSo’s clearly come a long way—if you’d like to accompany him on the next leg of his journey, be sure to cop his Working Title street album when it drops on August 16.
Written by richard on 08/9/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.