Think you can mess with Fat Joe and live to tell the tale? You’ve gotta be kidding. On the lead single off his 11th studio album, the chronically-underrated emcee makes clear that, if you come around looking for trouble, his hearty laughter (accompanied, I assume, by some Santa-esque belly vibration) will be the last sound you ever hear. Backed by Scoop DeVille‘s eccentrically catchy, vocal-sampled boardwork, Haha (Slow Down Son) finds Joe exulting in his ‘hood legend status, mixing hard-nosed trash talk with pop-culture allusions: “Now what, you boys got a death wish? / I be the motherf*cker uglier than Precious.” On the middle verse, ATL’s own Young Jeezy steps up to the mic to remind us just how long he’s come from his coke-slinging days (and drop the obligatory Avatar reference). Will Joey Crack’s forthcoming full-length, The Darkside - which has yet to receive a solid release date - be a return to form after the less-than-stellar sales of last year’s J.O.S.E. 2? For now, we can only speculate…
Written by richard on 02/7/10
Submit your Rating
R4 So Valid, LLC/Terror Squad
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"One Blood (Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.