With so many Americans struggling to simply make ends meet, artists with the common touch (as opposed to, say, the Midas touch) have a unique opportunity to hit it big. Perhaps inspired by Cam’ron‘s populist hit, My Job, West Coast up-and-comer Fashawn steps into the shoes of an underpaid nine-to-fiver on the B-side to current single Freedom (which was leaked to the ‘net last December), describing his day-to-day struggles as a worker drone living in The Outer City. The rapper’s eye for service-sector minutiae (as exemplified by the anecdote about having to tuck his shirt in or risk losing a McJob) is sharp, and his stressed-out rhymes here are sure to strike a chord with listeners who have been in similar situations—fortunately, Exile tempers the hair-pulling subject matter with some blissed-out, old-school boardwork, backing Fashawn’s verses with a dreamy blend of chopped keyboard and vocal samples. Provided it doesn’t hit too close to home, The Outer City is the perfect record to help listeners decompress from the stress of an eight-hour shift. Fans are sure to find plenty more laid-back jams on Boy Meets World, produced entirely by Exile and set to hit stores September 1st.
Written by richard on 05/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.