After a few decades of living, it’s easy to forget just how much we all had to learn about the ways of the world—for example, post-potty training I had tremendous difficulty understanding that the great outdoors were not one big toilet. And I still don’t totally get that (hey, animals do it!), but in hindsight I see why my mother was so eager to drum that particular societal norm into my head. Similarly, though tough circumstances can force kids to grow up quickly, no one emerges from the womb knowing the meaning of “rich” and “poor” (let alone as a fully-formed hustler, as some would have you believe). Point being, the story Fashawn spits on Life As a Shorty, the second single off his forthcoming debut LP, rings truer than most—the West Coast up-and-comer aptly captures how mundane nearly all childhoods are at the time, and how much more significant those memories can become with time and perspective. Exile (sole producer on Boy Meets World) nails the wistfully humorous mood with an off-kilter piano beat, perhaps subtly playing off Fashawn’s lyrical homage to Wu-Tang classic C.R.E.A.M. Fans digging Fashawn’s vivid lyrical storytelling are sure to find more to their liking on the his debut full-length, set to drop this September.
Listen to More: Fashawn
Written by richard on 07/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.