After a few decades of living, it’s easy to forget just how much we all had to learn about the ways of the world—for example, post-potty training I had tremendous difficulty understanding that the great outdoors were not one big toilet. And I still don’t totally get that (hey, animals do it!), but in hindsight I see why my mother was so eager to drum that particular societal norm into my head. Similarly, though tough circumstances can force kids to grow up quickly, no one emerges from the womb knowing the meaning of “rich” and “poor” (let alone as a fully-formed hustler, as some would have you believe). Point being, the story Fashawn spits on Life As a Shorty, the second single off his forthcoming debut LP, rings truer than most—the West Coast up-and-comer aptly captures how mundane nearly all childhoods are at the time, and how much more significant those memories can become with time and perspective. Exile (sole producer on Boy Meets World) nails the wistfully humorous mood with an off-kilter piano beat, perhaps subtly playing off Fashawn’s lyrical homage to Wu-Tang classic C.R.E.A.M. Fans digging Fashawn’s vivid lyrical storytelling are sure to find more to their liking on the his debut full-length, set to drop this September.
Listen to More: Fashawn
Written by richard on 07/5/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.