After a few decades of living, it’s easy to forget just how much we all had to learn about the ways of the world—for example, post-potty training I had tremendous difficulty understanding that the great outdoors were not one big toilet. And I still don’t totally get that (hey, animals do it!), but in hindsight I see why my mother was so eager to drum that particular societal norm into my head. Similarly, though tough circumstances can force kids to grow up quickly, no one emerges from the womb knowing the meaning of “rich” and “poor” (let alone as a fully-formed hustler, as some would have you believe). Point being, the story Fashawn spits on Life As a Shorty, the second single off his forthcoming debut LP, rings truer than most—the West Coast up-and-comer aptly captures how mundane nearly all childhoods are at the time, and how much more significant those memories can become with time and perspective. Exile (sole producer on Boy Meets World) nails the wistfully humorous mood with an off-kilter piano beat, perhaps subtly playing off Fashawn’s lyrical homage to Wu-Tang classic C.R.E.A.M. Fans digging Fashawn’s vivid lyrical storytelling are sure to find more to their liking on the his debut full-length, set to drop this September.
Listen to More: Fashawn Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.