First Dirty Money, then Vonnegutt; what’s with all the home oriented records? Whatever. If this is what’s happening in the hood, I’ll take DJBooth Freestyle Alum Fashawn‘s Going Home record over the others that have released in the past few weeks. Not because his version is more authentic, but because he went in over a Javelin beat, which tells a story of its own with details like UFO beam-ups, stars twinkling and birds chirping. While I’m not one for “cute” beats, this production work suits Fashawn’s delivery perfectly as he brings emotions dressed in Kanye’s red windbreaker and gold chain: “Sometimes I feel like I’m writing my life away / in the studio night and day / lightin’ haze / spittin’ like I’m twice me age.” Fash has properly told the story of his come-up in the music industry before, and Going Home just adds to the collection of tracks that fit his storybook catalog. Fittingly, this song is the latest in Fashawn’s Sunday School series and will be released on his upcoming mixtape, Higher Learning, set to be released in March.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 12/6/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.