First Dirty Money, then Vonnegutt; what’s with all the home oriented records? Whatever. If this is what’s happening in the hood, I’ll take DJBooth Freestyle Alum Fashawn‘s Going Home record over the others that have released in the past few weeks. Not because his version is more authentic, but because he went in over a Javelin beat, which tells a story of its own with details like UFO beam-ups, stars twinkling and birds chirping. While I’m not one for “cute” beats, this production work suits Fashawn’s delivery perfectly as he brings emotions dressed in Kanye’s red windbreaker and gold chain: “Sometimes I feel like I’m writing my life away / in the studio night and day / lightin’ haze / spittin’ like I’m twice me age.” Fash has properly told the story of his come-up in the music industry before, and Going Home just adds to the collection of tracks that fit his storybook catalog. Fittingly, this song is the latest in Fashawn’s Sunday School series and will be released on his upcoming mixtape, Higher Learning, set to be released in March.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.