First Dirty Money, then Vonnegutt; what’s with all the home oriented records? Whatever. If this is what’s happening in the hood, I’ll take DJBooth Freestyle Alum Fashawn‘s Going Home record over the others that have released in the past few weeks. Not because his version is more authentic, but because he went in over a Javelin beat, which tells a story of its own with details like UFO beam-ups, stars twinkling and birds chirping. While I’m not one for “cute” beats, this production work suits Fashawn’s delivery perfectly as he brings emotions dressed in Kanye’s red windbreaker and gold chain: “Sometimes I feel like I’m writing my life away / in the studio night and day / lightin’ haze / spittin’ like I’m twice me age.” Fash has properly told the story of his come-up in the music industry before, and Going Home just adds to the collection of tracks that fit his storybook catalog. Fittingly, this song is the latest in Fashawn’s Sunday School series and will be released on his upcoming mixtape, Higher Learning, set to be released in March.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 12/6/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.