Currently hard at work on the follow-up to 2009’s Boy Meets World—one of the most acclaimed rap debuts in recent memory—Fashawn is taking a moment to sip some bubbly, celebrate his successes to date, and ponder the road ahead on a pre-album mixtape and mini-movie. Generation F, the latest leak off the latter project, finds the Grizzly City repper returning to the autobiographical style that have earned him so many comparisons to a young Nasir Jones. Over producer ATG‘s vintage soul samples, Fash harks back to his formative years as a ‘hood youth with ambitions that dwarfed his humble environment. Recalling the friction between familial expectations and his attraction to the street life, he spits: “My momma tried to save me, but she couldn’t understand that I was groomin’ myself to be a man / Or maybe I was crazy, thinkin’ I was so fly that a n*gga would never land.” Lyrically on-point and eminently relatable, this nostalgic cut should only leaves heads more excited for what lies ahead for Fashawn—including his Champagne & Styrofoam Cups mixtape (tentatively due out in March of 2012) and his second full-length collaboration with Exile (The Ecology, due out sometime next year).
Written by richard on 12/1/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.