Currently hard at work on the follow-up to 2009’s Boy Meets World—one of the most acclaimed rap debuts in recent memory—Fashawn is taking a moment to sip some bubbly, celebrate his successes to date, and ponder the road ahead on a pre-album mixtape and mini-movie. Generation F, the latest leak off the latter project, finds the Grizzly City repper returning to the autobiographical style that have earned him so many comparisons to a young Nasir Jones. Over producer ATG‘s vintage soul samples, Fash harks back to his formative years as a ‘hood youth with ambitions that dwarfed his humble environment. Recalling the friction between familial expectations and his attraction to the street life, he spits: “My momma tried to save me, but she couldn’t understand that I was groomin’ myself to be a man / Or maybe I was crazy, thinkin’ I was so fly that a n*gga would never land.” Lyrically on-point and eminently relatable, this nostalgic cut should only leaves heads more excited for what lies ahead for Fashawn—including his Champagne & Styrofoam Cups mixtape (tentatively due out in March of 2012) and his second full-length collaboration with Exile (The Ecology, due out sometime next year).
Written by richard on 12/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.