Currently hard at work on the follow-up to 2009’s Boy Meets World—one of the most acclaimed rap debuts in recent memory—Fashawn is taking a moment to sip some bubbly, celebrate his successes to date, and ponder the road ahead on a pre-album mixtape and mini-movie. Generation F, the latest leak off the latter project, finds the Grizzly City repper returning to the autobiographical style that have earned him so many comparisons to a young Nasir Jones. Over producer ATG‘s vintage soul samples, Fash harks back to his formative years as a ‘hood youth with ambitions that dwarfed his humble environment. Recalling the friction between familial expectations and his attraction to the street life, he spits: “My momma tried to save me, but she couldn’t understand that I was groomin’ myself to be a man / Or maybe I was crazy, thinkin’ I was so fly that a n*gga would never land.” Lyrically on-point and eminently relatable, this nostalgic cut should only leaves heads more excited for what lies ahead for Fashawn—including his Champagne & Styrofoam Cups mixtape (tentatively due out in March of 2012) and his second full-length collaboration with Exile (The Ecology, due out sometime next year).
Written by richard on 12/1/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Our Way ft. Evidence" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.