When multiple upper-echelon talents come together “just for fun,” the results can be downright magical. I mean, they can also be f*cking terrible, but I’m happy to say that Ride 4 U, the newly (and prematurely) leaked product of a one-off collaboration between electro-hop hitmakers Far East Movement and Cleveland reppers Kid CuDi and Chip Tha Ripper, falls considerably closer to the “magical” side of the equation. Frequent CuDi collaborator Dot Da Genius does his thing behind the boards, blending radiant bell chords with slow-burning synths and leisurely percussion to dreamy effect as the collaborators pay sung and rapped tribute to the women who hold them down through thick and thin. While the overall effect is so enjoyably mellow that I feel bad picking favorites, I have to give special mention to Kev Nish for his imaginative expressions of romantic devotion (“Girl, if we was Eskimos, for you I’d kill a killer whale.”), and to Chip for reminding me how much I miss the Kid CuDi who actually, y’know, rapped. (Not that Cudder’s hook and bridge vocals here aren’t dope). While this joint isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, fans should stay tuned for the latest from all involved, including details on FEM’s forthcoming Dirty Bass LP (due out in 2012).
Written by richard on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"2 Is Better Than 1" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)