It can often be difficult to separate the artist from their art, but on Fantasia’s new single The Thrill is Gone, her first DJBooth feature since February’s Even Angels, it’s nearly impossible. In light of the former American Idol’s recent apparent suicide attempt, coming after an alleged relationship with a married man fell apart, it’s hard not to listen to The Thrill is Gone as the story of that doomed relationship. “I’m not saying you’re to blame / I know I’m not your girl, I know you’re not my man / but something’s wrong I can’t explain,” sings the distinctly voiced crooner in her trademark rasp as some lush, retro-influenced Malay & KP production floats in the background. No stranger to confessional records himself, Cee-Lo Green also hops on for a heavily stylized, unshakably cool guest verse. Whether The Thrill is Gone is art imitating life, or vice-versa, there’s no debating that it’s art. Hopefully Fantasia can now put her troubles behind her and fully concentrate on her upcoming album, Back to Me, due out August 24.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I See U (Remix) ft. Remy Ma, B.G. & Young Jeezy" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.