It can often be difficult to separate the artist from their art, but on Fantasia’s new single The Thrill is Gone, her first DJBooth feature since February’s Even Angels, it’s nearly impossible. In light of the former American Idol’s recent apparent suicide attempt, coming after an alleged relationship with a married man fell apart, it’s hard not to listen to The Thrill is Gone as the story of that doomed relationship. “I’m not saying you’re to blame / I know I’m not your girl, I know you’re not my man / but something’s wrong I can’t explain,” sings the distinctly voiced crooner in her trademark rasp as some lush, retro-influenced Malay & KP production floats in the background. No stranger to confessional records himself, Cee-Lo Green also hops on for a heavily stylized, unshakably cool guest verse. Whether The Thrill is Gone is art imitating life, or vice-versa, there’s no debating that it’s art. Hopefully Fantasia can now put her troubles behind her and fully concentrate on her upcoming album, Back to Me, due out August 24.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I See U (Remix) ft. Remy Ma, B.G. & Young Jeezy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.