It can often be difficult to separate the artist from their art, but on Fantasia’s new single The Thrill is Gone, her first DJBooth feature since February’s Even Angels, it’s nearly impossible. In light of the former American Idol’s recent apparent suicide attempt, coming after an alleged relationship with a married man fell apart, it’s hard not to listen to The Thrill is Gone as the story of that doomed relationship. “I’m not saying you’re to blame / I know I’m not your girl, I know you’re not my man / but something’s wrong I can’t explain,” sings the distinctly voiced crooner in her trademark rasp as some lush, retro-influenced Malay & KP production floats in the background. No stranger to confessional records himself, Cee-Lo Green also hops on for a heavily stylized, unshakably cool guest verse. Whether The Thrill is Gone is art imitating life, or vice-versa, there’s no debating that it’s art. Hopefully Fantasia can now put her troubles behind her and fully concentrate on her upcoming album, Back to Me, due out August 24.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I See U (Remix) ft. Remy Ma, B.G. & Young Jeezy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.