It can often be difficult to separate the artist from their art, but on Fantasia’s new single The Thrill is Gone, her first DJBooth feature since February’s Even Angels, it’s nearly impossible. In light of the former American Idol’s recent apparent suicide attempt, coming after an alleged relationship with a married man fell apart, it’s hard not to listen to The Thrill is Gone as the story of that doomed relationship. “I’m not saying you’re to blame / I know I’m not your girl, I know you’re not my man / but something’s wrong I can’t explain,” sings the distinctly voiced crooner in her trademark rasp as some lush, retro-influenced Malay & KP production floats in the background. No stranger to confessional records himself, Cee-Lo Green also hops on for a heavily stylized, unshakably cool guest verse. Whether The Thrill is Gone is art imitating life, or vice-versa, there’s no debating that it’s art. Hopefully Fantasia can now put her troubles behind her and fully concentrate on her upcoming album, Back to Me, due out August 24.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When I See U (Remix) ft. Remy Ma, B.G. & Young Jeezy" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.