Today’s hip-hop game is less regionally stratified than ever before, but that doesn’t mean you can insult a rapper’s ‘hood and get away with it. In the wake of Lil Wayne‘s controversial comments about the Big Apple in a late-August interview with MTV’s RapTalk (“Flat out: I don’t like New York.”), Fabolous has taken it upon himself to defend his city’s honor on unreleased joint SoNY. (The title doubles as a name-drop of Japanese electronics giant Sony, who sponsored Fab on this summer’s Backstage Connections Tour). Weezy, however, isn’t the sole target of the artist’s ire; the B.K. vet also has a bone to pick with certain neighbors who he sees as having forgotten how to rep their city. Over the gritty boom-bap production of superproducer Just Blaze (an honorary New Yorker, though he originally hails from Jersey), Fab spits,“You gotta go to L.A. if you’re lookin’ for Diddy / You gotta check Ct. if you lookin’ for Fitty / N**gas in Paris, but what about the City?” Feeling this incendiary musical declaration of hometown pride? Then stay tuned for all the latest from the emcee, including release details on forthcoming album Loso’s Way 2: Rise to Power.
Written by richard on 09/16/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Really Wanna Know You ft. Jagged Edge & Fabolous" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.