While Fabolous’ last album Loso’s Way received mixed reviews, Loso’s just-released mixtape There Is No Competition 2: The Funeral Service was widely hailed as a killer, so the man decided to pull a Drake and re-release the project as an EP, now called There is No Competition 2: The Grieving Music, complete with a handful of new joints. The first of the brand new batch is Lights Out (I Don’t See Nobody), a banger that will definitely get you hyped in your car or the club. Produced by Lex Luger, whose beats are all starting to sound the same to me (see Blowin’ Money Fast), Lights Out frankly doesn’t find Loso at his best lyrically. While Fab gets in a few jabs, cheesy lines like “You couldn’t find me in the day time with a flashlight” would only be clever coming from a boy band like B5, not the best punchline rapper in the game. Still, with a speaker-blowing beat and a well-placed Jay-Z sample, I’m sure I will be hearing this song bumping in systems everywhere well after The Grieving Music drops on August 24.
Written by JRTheWriter on 07/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Really Wanna Know You" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.