Already a DJBooth fave thanks to his production work on featured records by West Coast phenom Fashawn and many others, Exile steps out from behind the boards to make his Booth debut as a rapper on new single When Nothing’s Left. Of course, he still does his thing on the production tip, chopping Otis Redding’s That’s How Strong My Love Is into a characteristically gritty, soulful backdrop as he and frequent collaborator Blu trade confident, good-humored bars. While the overarching theme is the collaborators’ drive to be the best in the hip-hop game, the arguable highlight is an off-the-cuff exchange on their fond memories of shoplifting: ”Y’all actin’ like you never switched price tags in the mall.” “I did, and plus I stole ‘em all.” “Yeah, I got caught and told ‘em off.” “And I still got away with a Ralph Lauren polo on.” Time to weigh in, readers: are you itching to hear more from Exile the emcee? Plenty more soulful beats and high-caliber bars await on the headliner’s 4TRK MIND LP, dropping tomorrow (October 4).
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.