If there were any doubt as to why West Coast fast-riser and freestyle alum Fashawn chose to work with Exile exclusively on both his first and (forthcoming) second studio albums, the latter’s latest promo single should clear things up once and for all. Not only do the Cali neighbors have undeniable artistic chemistry but, judging by the newly-released Oh Word (Keep on Rising), they also have one hell of a time when they get together. Continuing in the off-the-wall vein of Blu-assisted single When Nothing’s Left, this joint finds Exile setting a light-hearted mood behind the boards, looping a bouncy guitar/percussion sample as he and his professional colleague/smoking buddy showcase their knack for blunted badinage. While their vocal interplay gives rise to too many quotable lines to, well, quote, the highlight for yours truly was hearing the headliner coin the portmanteau, “Kool Quiche.” (To be fair, I’m a fan of just about anything that combines food and rap). Though Oh Word doesn’t appear on the set, those digging it are sure to find more to their liking on Exile’s solo debut, 4TRK Mind, out now in stores and online. Fans can look forward to a new video off the project, Klepto, in the near future.
Written by richard on 02/6/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.