On this newly-leaked cut off the Soul Assassins crew’s Intermission LP, two West Coast vets team up to make a little Classical music—okay, not exactly; though Alchemist‘s unique beat sounds like it could have been inspired by one of Wendy Carlos’ old-school Moog covers of the classical greats, the record’s verses find Dilated Peoples’ Evidence and Psycho Realm rapper Sick Jacken paying tribute to the power of hip-hop. Determined to make mind-expanding music for the streets regardless of whether it brings him fame and fortune, Jacken turns in an opener that will have listeners nodding along, but Evidence sounds a little more at home over the instrumental (unsurprisingly, considering how far he and Alchemist go back), and his poetically dense second verse is the arguable highlight. Intermission, a collaborative album featuring underground talent from all over the hip-hop map, is set to hit record shops and online retailers June 23rd.
Written by richard on 04/29/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let Yourself Go (Remix) ft. Phonte" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.