Combining a Japanese folk classic with the an obscure, early rap record like Adventures of Futura 2000 might seem unintuitive at first blush but, in reality, the genesis of Evidence‘s latest promo single couldn’t be more simple or straightforward. To quote the Dilated Peoples emcee himself, “I was stoned.” (And they say smoking doesn’t enhance creativity!) On Sakura, an unreleased jam recorded back in 2011, Twiz The Beat Pro‘s slowed-down sampling of the aforementioned hip-hop curio (a collab between punk luminaries The Clash and graffiti artist-turned-rapper Futura 2000) serves as backdrop for some seriously blunted flows from the Cali underground mainstay. Not to be outdone, Planet Asia contributes a free-associative guest 16 on the back. A vocal performance of Sakura Sakura, a folk melody of the Edo Period, serves as the record’s hook. While this left-field concoction isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can, of course, stay tuned for all the latest from Evidence and company.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let Yourself Go (Remix) ft. Phonte" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.