With the recent release of Booth-sponsored prelude mixtape The Last Word Benders (available for free streaming and download here, for all you slowpokes who have yet to check it out), HiPNOTT Records duo Everliven Sound have gotten a nice buzz going, but that was, of course, only the beginning. Today, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam are back to stoke the flames of anticipation yet higher with rousing lead single Get Up, Stand Up. While this cut doesn’t seem to be directly inspired by Bob Marley’s reggae classic of the same name, listeners craving some exotically smooth production won’t be disappointed. The Beatnikz’ Afrobeat-informed groove strikes the perfect note of laid-back energy as Cymarshall and Skit lace the track with tightly-wound, pop-referential braggadocio: “Inside the hood, I make more shawtys than Tiger Woods / Emcees, I burn ‘em up like fire should – good. You will never take my title belt; my flow is water and I hit trees like Michael Phelps.” Those digging this track can find Get Up and much more on Freedom II, set to hit stores June 22.
Written by richard on 05/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.