With the recent release of Booth-sponsored prelude mixtape The Last Word Benders (available for free streaming and download here, for all you slowpokes who have yet to check it out), HiPNOTT Records duo Everliven Sound have gotten a nice buzz going, but that was, of course, only the beginning. Today, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam are back to stoke the flames of anticipation yet higher with rousing lead single Get Up, Stand Up. While this cut doesn’t seem to be directly inspired by Bob Marley’s reggae classic of the same name, listeners craving some exotically smooth production won’t be disappointed. The Beatnikz’ Afrobeat-informed groove strikes the perfect note of laid-back energy as Cymarshall and Skit lace the track with tightly-wound, pop-referential braggadocio: “Inside the hood, I make more shawtys than Tiger Woods / Emcees, I burn ‘em up like fire should – good. You will never take my title belt; my flow is water and I hit trees like Michael Phelps.” Those digging this track can find Get Up and much more on Freedom II, set to hit stores June 22.
Written by richard on 05/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.