As my fellow ‘80s babies will remember, fantasy film The Neverending Story (and the dope novel that inspired it) featured adolescent hero Atreyu battling against a virulent Nothing spawned by greed and lust for power, which threatened to swallow up the world of Fantastica. Feeling that the genre they love is in danger of a similar fate, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam of Everliven Sound set out to save hip-hop from the emptiness of the Top 40 on Everending Story, the latest single and title track off their latest collaborative set. Unlike most rap polemicists, the duo don’t hesitate to name names; over DJ Tee‘s chopped samples, the emcees call out Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, Kreayshawn, Wiz Khalifa and others as lacking both the lyrical substance and the mic skills of rappers in the ‘90s. Agree with their assessment? Debate away—right after you click here to cop Everliven’s latest LP via Bandcamp.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.