As my fellow ‘80s babies will remember, fantasy film The Neverending Story (and the dope novel that inspired it) featured adolescent hero Atreyu battling against a virulent Nothing spawned by greed and lust for power, which threatened to swallow up the world of Fantastica. Feeling that the genre they love is in danger of a similar fate, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam of Everliven Sound set out to save hip-hop from the emptiness of the Top 40 on Everending Story, the latest single and title track off their latest collaborative set. Unlike most rap polemicists, the duo don’t hesitate to name names; over DJ Tee‘s chopped samples, the emcees call out Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, Kreayshawn, Wiz Khalifa and others as lacking both the lyrical substance and the mic skills of rappers in the ‘90s. Agree with their assessment? Debate away—right after you click here to cop Everliven’s latest LP via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 12/10/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.