As my fellow ‘80s babies will remember, fantasy film The Neverending Story (and the dope novel that inspired it) featured adolescent hero Atreyu battling against a virulent Nothing spawned by greed and lust for power, which threatened to swallow up the world of Fantastica. Feeling that the genre they love is in danger of a similar fate, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam of Everliven Sound set out to save hip-hop from the emptiness of the Top 40 on Everending Story, the latest single and title track off their latest collaborative set. Unlike most rap polemicists, the duo don’t hesitate to name names; over DJ Tee‘s chopped samples, the emcees call out Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, Kreayshawn, Wiz Khalifa and others as lacking both the lyrical substance and the mic skills of rappers in the ‘90s. Agree with their assessment? Debate away—right after you click here to cop Everliven’s latest LP via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 12/10/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.