As my fellow ‘80s babies will remember, fantasy film The Neverending Story (and the dope novel that inspired it) featured adolescent hero Atreyu battling against a virulent Nothing spawned by greed and lust for power, which threatened to swallow up the world of Fantastica. Feeling that the genre they love is in danger of a similar fate, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam of Everliven Sound set out to save hip-hop from the emptiness of the Top 40 on Everending Story, the latest single and title track off their latest collaborative set. Unlike most rap polemicists, the duo don’t hesitate to name names; over DJ Tee‘s chopped samples, the emcees call out Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, Kreayshawn, Wiz Khalifa and others as lacking both the lyrical substance and the mic skills of rappers in the ‘90s. Agree with their assessment? Debate away—right after you click here to cop Everliven’s latest LP via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 12/10/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.