As my fellow ‘80s babies will remember, fantasy film The Neverending Story (and the dope novel that inspired it) featured adolescent hero Atreyu battling against a virulent Nothing spawned by greed and lust for power, which threatened to swallow up the world of Fantastica. Feeling that the genre they love is in danger of a similar fate, Cymarshall Law and Skit Slam of Everliven Sound set out to save hip-hop from the emptiness of the Top 40 on Everending Story, the latest single and title track off their latest collaborative set. Unlike most rap polemicists, the duo don’t hesitate to name names; over DJ Tee‘s chopped samples, the emcees call out Rick Ross, Drake, Lil Wayne, Iggy Azalea, Kreayshawn, Wiz Khalifa and others as lacking both the lyrical substance and the mic skills of rappers in the ‘90s. Agree with their assessment? Debate away—right after you click here to cop Everliven’s latest LP via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 12/10/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Should He Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.