What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the name Everlast? If the answer is House of Pain congratulations, you’re probably an ‘80s baby like me. If the answer is his hit solo single What It’s Like, you’re probably a product of the ‘90s. And for any readers who may be fresh out the womb and aren’t familiar with Everlast at all, let new single The Rain be your introduction. True to his genre-bending history Everlast does double duty on Rain, jumping behind the boards to produce (and play) a wide-ranging affair that blends hip-hop percussion, country western guitar lines and rock energy. On the mic the New York native is equally expansive, pairing a gruff, bluesy hook with rapped verses dedicated to those of us (aka almost all of us) who can’t afford to live that luxury rap lifestyle: “Work a double-shift grind / I can’t save a dime / my daughter needs medicine I just can’t afford.” I won’t call it a comeback, he’s been here for years, but I will say welcome back Everlast, I can’t wait to hear your Songs Of The Ungrateful Living album when it drops October 18.
Listen to More: Everlast
Written by Nathan S. on 10/6/11
Martyr Inc. Records
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.