On ‘71 single Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler), Marvin Gaye lamented that political corruption, economic stratification and trigger-happy police had turned urbanites’ everyday lives into a series of “hang-ups, letdowns, bad breaks [and] setbacks.” Forty-plus years later, ain’t a damn thing changed—except that the aforementioned issues have grown even more pronounced. In the City, Atlanta-based rhymesayer ev4n holt and East Coast beatsmith Thelonious Martin‘s latest collaborative single, offers a hip-hop-infused update on the aforementioned soul classic’s message. Backed by his partner’s throwback samples, holt harks back to his formative years in the streets of San Diego, vividly depicting the atmosphere of struggle and desperation amid which he came up. This dope, lyrically on-point selection is just one of many quality cuts to be found on Martin and holt’s The Temptations LP, dropping digitally in the near future.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Looking Up" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.