On ‘71 single Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler), Marvin Gaye lamented that political corruption, economic stratification and trigger-happy police had turned urbanites’ everyday lives into a series of “hang-ups, letdowns, bad breaks [and] setbacks.” Forty-plus years later, ain’t a damn thing changed—except that the aforementioned issues have grown even more pronounced. In the City, Atlanta-based rhymesayer ev4n holt and East Coast beatsmith Thelonious Martin‘s latest collaborative single, offers a hip-hop-infused update on the aforementioned soul classic’s message. Backed by his partner’s throwback samples, holt harks back to his formative years in the streets of San Diego, vividly depicting the atmosphere of struggle and desperation amid which he came up. This dope, lyrically on-point selection is just one of many quality cuts to be found on Martin and holt’s The Temptations LP, dropping digitally in the near future.
Written by richard on 09/26/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Looking Up" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.