On ‘71 single Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler), Marvin Gaye lamented that political corruption, economic stratification and trigger-happy police had turned urbanites’ everyday lives into a series of “hang-ups, letdowns, bad breaks [and] setbacks.” Forty-plus years later, ain’t a damn thing changed—except that the aforementioned issues have grown even more pronounced. In the City, Atlanta-based rhymesayer ev4n holt and East Coast beatsmith Thelonious Martin‘s latest collaborative single, offers a hip-hop-infused update on the aforementioned soul classic’s message. Backed by his partner’s throwback samples, holt harks back to his formative years in the streets of San Diego, vividly depicting the atmosphere of struggle and desperation amid which he came up. This dope, lyrically on-point selection is just one of many quality cuts to be found on Martin and holt’s The Temptations LP, dropping digitally in the near future.
Written by richard on 09/26/13
San Diego rhymesayer Evan Holt and Jersey-based beatsmith Thelonious Martin have come together with The DJBooth to bring listeners their first joint street release, The Temptations. The project packs a total of 11 original...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Looking Up" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.