Unless you’re one of those lucky motherf*ckers with an inborn ability to see the silver lining around every cloud, looking on the bright side of life’s nasty surprises is something much easier said than done. Just ask Estelle, who offers listeners a window into her everyday struggle to stay positive on new single/video Wonderful Life. Coming on the heels of reader-approved buzz record International, this cut finds Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis and co-producuer Arden “Keyz” Altino layering strings, chimes and sprightly piano chords over a head-noddable rhythm section as the Atlantic signee describes a formidable series of frustrations and setbacks. Not only is she grappling with accusations of dishonesty from her man, but she (OK, the narrator of the song) just lost her job. Though her back is up against the wall, she doesn’t despair, instead taking refuge in life’s simple pleasures - in this case, a manicure at the end of a hard day. Feeling this musical slice of life? You can look forward to plenty more where this cut came from on Tuesday, Feb. 8, when Estelle’s All of Me (finally) hits record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 02/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.