Unless you’re one of those lucky motherf*ckers with an inborn ability to see the silver lining around every cloud, looking on the bright side of life’s nasty surprises is something much easier said than done. Just ask Estelle, who offers listeners a window into her everyday struggle to stay positive on new single/video Wonderful Life. Coming on the heels of reader-approved buzz record International, this cut finds Jerry “Wonda” Duplessis and co-producuer Arden “Keyz” Altino layering strings, chimes and sprightly piano chords over a head-noddable rhythm section as the Atlantic signee describes a formidable series of frustrations and setbacks. Not only is she grappling with accusations of dishonesty from her man, but she (OK, the narrator of the song) just lost her job. Though her back is up against the wall, she doesn’t despair, instead taking refuge in life’s simple pleasures - in this case, a manicure at the end of a hard day. Feeling this musical slice of life? You can look forward to plenty more where this cut came from on Tuesday, Feb. 8, when Estelle’s All of Me (finally) hits record stores and online retailers.
Written by richard on 02/15/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.