While London is making its presence felt on both the Hip Hop (Lady Sovereign, Kano, Dizzee Rascal) and R&B (Craig David) map, very few artists are able to sing as well as they rap (or vice versa). One of those few is Estelle (signed to John Legend’s Homeschool Records) who demonstrates her skills in the breakout single, Wait A Minute (Just A Touch). While the U.K.-native sings the hook rather smoothly and skillfully, her voice and rhyme pattern on both her rapped verses will impress the most. Think Eve, circa now. Throw in will.i.am‘s jazz beat and background vocals and Wait A Minute should be an easy-listening hit that allows Estelle to get her Shine on in February of ’08 when her debut album hits stores.
Written by Burmy on 11/14/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"American Boy ft. Kanye West" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.