The phrase “Thank You” can be a beautiful thing (when you’ve given someone a gift that they love), or it can be a mere formality (when it’s coming from the person behind the counter at Burger King), but rarely is it as cutting as the “Thank you” that Estelle aims at her ex-man on the second single off her long-awaited sophomore set. Written by Akon, this heartbroken ballad finds the Konvict Muzik general tapping into a timeless vein of soulful catharsis; producer Jerry Wonda provides a fittingly retro-informed backdrop for his lyrics and melody, layering sweeping strings and plaintive guitar riffs over a simple descending bassline. Estelle, of course, excels on the vocal tip, exhibiting a caustic edge as she wishes the guy in question luck in his new relationship. And she doesn’t miss the opportunity to deliver a few more overt parting shots: “Sometimes I wonder, can she be more of a woman to you than you are a man to me?” I can’t see this cut disappointing Estelle devotees, but will it be the one to get All of Me a release date from the Atlantic brass? Debate away—and, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest details!
Written by richard on 09/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.