The phrase “Thank You” can be a beautiful thing (when you’ve given someone a gift that they love), or it can be a mere formality (when it’s coming from the person behind the counter at Burger King), but rarely is it as cutting as the “Thank you” that Estelle aims at her ex-man on the second single off her long-awaited sophomore set. Written by Akon, this heartbroken ballad finds the Konvict Muzik general tapping into a timeless vein of soulful catharsis; producer Jerry Wonda provides a fittingly retro-informed backdrop for his lyrics and melody, layering sweeping strings and plaintive guitar riffs over a simple descending bassline. Estelle, of course, excels on the vocal tip, exhibiting a caustic edge as she wishes the guy in question luck in his new relationship. And she doesn’t miss the opportunity to deliver a few more overt parting shots: “Sometimes I wonder, can she be more of a woman to you than you are a man to me?” I can’t see this cut disappointing Estelle devotees, but will it be the one to get All of Me a release date from the Atlantic brass? Debate away—and, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest details!
Written by richard on 09/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.