The phrase “Thank You” can be a beautiful thing (when you’ve given someone a gift that they love), or it can be a mere formality (when it’s coming from the person behind the counter at Burger King), but rarely is it as cutting as the “Thank you” that Estelle aims at her ex-man on the second single off her long-awaited sophomore set. Written by Akon, this heartbroken ballad finds the Konvict Muzik general tapping into a timeless vein of soulful catharsis; producer Jerry Wonda provides a fittingly retro-informed backdrop for his lyrics and melody, layering sweeping strings and plaintive guitar riffs over a simple descending bassline. Estelle, of course, excels on the vocal tip, exhibiting a caustic edge as she wishes the guy in question luck in his new relationship. And she doesn’t miss the opportunity to deliver a few more overt parting shots: “Sometimes I wonder, can she be more of a woman to you than you are a man to me?” I can’t see this cut disappointing Estelle devotees, but will it be the one to get All of Me a release date from the Atlantic brass? Debate away—and, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest details!
Written by richard on 09/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.