The dreaded (quasi)sophomore jinx looms large for international star Estelle. (Ok, so her breakthrough album Shine was technically her second, but for all intents and purposes it was her U.S. debut.) The point is; it’ll be hard to top the Grammy Award winning American Boy, but Estelle’s back to give it her best shot on her new single Freak. Produced by the suddenly omnipresent David Guetta who – hold on, I’m trying to find the words to describe this beat without being disrespectful – is heavily 90’s club influenced, Freak is a notable departure for the usually flirty Estelle, who here seems to be only be interested in American boys, or in the case of guest star Kardinal Offishall Canadian boys, who own handcuffs and fetish gear. Basically, if you’ve been dying to hear Estelle do a techno-remix of Kelis’ Milkshake, your prayers have been answered. Will Estelle manage to rise above the (quasi)sophomore-jinx? We’ll find out whenever her upcoming and currently unscheduled album All of Me hits stores.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/28/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.