The dreaded (quasi)sophomore jinx looms large for international star Estelle. (Ok, so her breakthrough album Shine was technically her second, but for all intents and purposes it was her U.S. debut.) The point is; it’ll be hard to top the Grammy Award winning American Boy, but Estelle’s back to give it her best shot on her new single Freak. Produced by the suddenly omnipresent David Guetta who – hold on, I’m trying to find the words to describe this beat without being disrespectful – is heavily 90’s club influenced, Freak is a notable departure for the usually flirty Estelle, who here seems to be only be interested in American boys, or in the case of guest star Kardinal Offishall Canadian boys, who own handcuffs and fetish gear. Basically, if you’ve been dying to hear Estelle do a techno-remix of Kelis’ Milkshake, your prayers have been answered. Will Estelle manage to rise above the (quasi)sophomore-jinx? We’ll find out whenever her upcoming and currently unscheduled album All of Me hits stores.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)