The dreaded (quasi)sophomore jinx looms large for international star Estelle. (Ok, so her breakthrough album Shine was technically her second, but for all intents and purposes it was her U.S. debut.) The point is; it’ll be hard to top the Grammy Award winning American Boy, but Estelle’s back to give it her best shot on her new single Freak. Produced by the suddenly omnipresent David Guetta who – hold on, I’m trying to find the words to describe this beat without being disrespectful – is heavily 90’s club influenced, Freak is a notable departure for the usually flirty Estelle, who here seems to be only be interested in American boys, or in the case of guest star Kardinal Offishall Canadian boys, who own handcuffs and fetish gear. Basically, if you’ve been dying to hear Estelle do a techno-remix of Kelis’ Milkshake, your prayers have been answered. Will Estelle manage to rise above the (quasi)sophomore-jinx? We’ll find out whenever her upcoming and currently unscheduled album All of Me hits stores.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.