Fourth grade. Playground. I’m sitting here, she’s sitting there. I love her. She doesn’t know I exist. I walk up to her. I tell her I love her. Her response? “Eww.” Traumatizing? Yes. Solution? Listening to Estelle’s new single Fall in Love and imagining the beautiful songstress is speaking directly to me. If producer DJ Frank E had been around to offer some of his buzzing synth rhythms and old-school bounce during my grade school years, maybe the songs I played to soothe my heartache would have been more effective. As for Estelle and her efforts to replicate another American Boy level hit, I really couldn’t ask much more from her (that she could give), or from guest artist Nas, whose verse frankly isn’t Nas’ greatest verse ever but works well enough to make Fall in Love an enjoyable listen (and a curer of pre-adolescent depression). Keep an eye out for Estelle’s forthcoming album All of Me – which will feature both the Nas and John Legend assisted versions of Fall In Love – due out soon.
Written by Matty K on 05/27/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait A Minute" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.