ESSO‘s last feature, F*ck It All, caught the up-and-comer on one of his not-so-fly days, struggling to stay motivated despite the paralyzing influences of liquor, drugs, and good ol’ existential angst. Just shy of a month later, however, the Harlem representative is back on his game and Ready to make his mark on the game—that is, if the game can withstand such a profound level of dopeness. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut is a self-assured grind anthem par excellence, with Jonathan Stein serving up a slow-burning arpeggiated-synth instrumental as ESSO drops bars that drip with swagger and steely determination. On the bridge, he exults, “Time waits for no one, and my Rolex reminds me / so just follow the money if you’re ever tryin’ to find me / Everyone that ever gave a f*ck is right behind me / God was showin’ his ass to the world when he designed me.” You can’t argue with that kind of confidence, but are the masses Ready for ESSO’s ascent to greatness? We’ll know for certain on January 19, when his Booth-sponsored Son of Samo EP arrives on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 01/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.