ESSO‘s last feature, F*ck It All, caught the up-and-comer on one of his not-so-fly days, struggling to stay motivated despite the paralyzing influences of liquor, drugs, and good ol’ existential angst. Just shy of a month later, however, the Harlem representative is back on his game and Ready to make his mark on the game—that is, if the game can withstand such a profound level of dopeness. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut is a self-assured grind anthem par excellence, with Jonathan Stein serving up a slow-burning arpeggiated-synth instrumental as ESSO drops bars that drip with swagger and steely determination. On the bridge, he exults, “Time waits for no one, and my Rolex reminds me / so just follow the money if you’re ever tryin’ to find me / Everyone that ever gave a f*ck is right behind me / God was showin’ his ass to the world when he designed me.” You can’t argue with that kind of confidence, but are the masses Ready for ESSO’s ascent to greatness? We’ll know for certain on January 19, when his Booth-sponsored Son of Samo EP arrives on our mixtape page for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 01/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.