Booth readers, there’s real, and then there’s real. What’s the difference, aside from the one on the right being in italics, you ask? Uh… you know it when you hear it. For example, the lead single off ESSO‘s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored EP is about as real as it gets. Previewed in a recent trailer but making its world premiere in downloadable form, F*ck It All finds the Harlem representative narrating his inner monologue on one of those not-so-fly days. Over Mike Mef‘s pensive keys and slow-rolling breakbeat, ESSO shares some blunted reflections on his mortality, life’s unpredictability, and the enormity of the task he needs to accomplish before he meets his maker. Of course, the artist isn’t about to let a little existential angst get in the way of his hustle; despite the cut’s dark themes, the overall tone is one of determination: “If this a game, then I can’t fall short of winning / Tryin’ to create a legacy and name / I’m not there, but I’m so far from the beginning / My whole life could change on any day.” Impressed with ESSO’s realness? Then you won’t want to miss his Son of Samo EP (named after an early pseudonym of Jean Michel Basquiat) when it hits our front page in January.
Written by richard on 12/12/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.