Booth readers, there’s real, and then there’s real. What’s the difference, aside from the one on the right being in italics, you ask? Uh… you know it when you hear it. For example, the lead single off ESSO‘s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored EP is about as real as it gets. Previewed in a recent trailer but making its world premiere in downloadable form, F*ck It All finds the Harlem representative narrating his inner monologue on one of those not-so-fly days. Over Mike Mef‘s pensive keys and slow-rolling breakbeat, ESSO shares some blunted reflections on his mortality, life’s unpredictability, and the enormity of the task he needs to accomplish before he meets his maker. Of course, the artist isn’t about to let a little existential angst get in the way of his hustle; despite the cut’s dark themes, the overall tone is one of determination: “If this a game, then I can’t fall short of winning / Tryin’ to create a legacy and name / I’m not there, but I’m so far from the beginning / My whole life could change on any day.” Impressed with ESSO’s realness? Then you won’t want to miss his Son of Samo EP (named after an early pseudonym of Jean Michel Basquiat) when it hits our front page in January.
Written by richard on 12/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.