For those wondering why Change Your Life emcee ESSO‘s latest feature samples from Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough, but includes no mention of the King of Pop‘s untimely passing, the answer is simple: two months ago, when the Harlem rapper began work on a mixtape based on Michael Jackson’s classic Off the Wall LP, the musical icon was alive and, as far as anyone could discern, perfectly healthy. Thus, Don’t Stop isn’t an MJ tribute record, at least not in the sense you would assume. Awkward timing aside, though, this is one catchy track, and should meet a warm reception from the many MJ devotees who frequent this site. On the newly-leaked track, ESSO flips the 1979 lead single, (sampled by Woody, who also produced QuEST‘s recent Booth debut) into a discussion of his relentless grind, lacing that unforgettable blend of brass and swirling strings with all the propulsive, braggadocio-laced rhymes listeners could ask for. The August 10th arrival of ESSO’s Off the Wall mixtape is the perfect opportunity for fans to revisit some of Jackson’s classic jams and get familiar with a talented up-and-coming emcee—sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.