For those wondering why Change Your Life emcee ESSO‘s latest feature samples from Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough, but includes no mention of the King of Pop‘s untimely passing, the answer is simple: two months ago, when the Harlem rapper began work on a mixtape based on Michael Jackson’s classic Off the Wall LP, the musical icon was alive and, as far as anyone could discern, perfectly healthy. Thus, Don’t Stop isn’t an MJ tribute record, at least not in the sense you would assume. Awkward timing aside, though, this is one catchy track, and should meet a warm reception from the many MJ devotees who frequent this site. On the newly-leaked track, ESSO flips the 1979 lead single, (sampled by Woody, who also produced QuEST‘s recent Booth debut) into a discussion of his relentless grind, lacing that unforgettable blend of brass and swirling strings with all the propulsive, braggadocio-laced rhymes listeners could ask for. The August 10th arrival of ESSO’s Off the Wall mixtape is the perfect opportunity for fans to revisit some of Jackson’s classic jams and get familiar with a talented up-and-coming emcee—sounds like a win-win situation to me.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.