On EP cut Someday, featured back in October 2010, Booth favorite ESSO stated with confidence, “I know I’m gonna get it one day, and I know that day ain’t far.” Well, turns out the next plateau in the Harlem mainstay’s artistic grind really wasn’t far off – new single Calling Out is a celebratory cut which finds ESSO exulting in his recent achievements. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s resting on his laurels; as the freestyle series alum explains over a currently unknown beatsmith’s anthemic, synth-driven backdrop, “I won’t be happy till we talkin’ VMAs, gramaphone and even an Oscar, dare I say.” No motivational banger is complete without an appropriately soaring chorus; in this case, it’s Young Money singer Shanell who does the honors, setting aside the studio effects that earned The Other Side mixed reviews to deliver a genuinely soulful performance. Those who enjoyed this victorious joint can accompany ESSO on the latest stretch of his journey towards hip-hop eminence on March 1, when the emcee’s #yandilife street album arrives on the ‘net.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.