On EP cut Someday, featured back in October 2010, Booth favorite ESSO stated with confidence, “I know I’m gonna get it one day, and I know that day ain’t far.” Well, turns out the next plateau in the Harlem mainstay’s artistic grind really wasn’t far off – new single Calling Out is a celebratory cut which finds ESSO exulting in his recent achievements. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s resting on his laurels; as the freestyle series alum explains over a currently unknown beatsmith’s anthemic, synth-driven backdrop, “I won’t be happy till we talkin’ VMAs, gramaphone and even an Oscar, dare I say.” No motivational banger is complete without an appropriately soaring chorus; in this case, it’s Young Money singer Shanell who does the honors, setting aside the studio effects that earned The Other Side mixed reviews to deliver a genuinely soulful performance. Those who enjoyed this victorious joint can accompany ESSO on the latest stretch of his journey towards hip-hop eminence on March 1, when the emcee’s #yandilife street album arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 02/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.