On EP cut Someday, featured back in October 2010, Booth favorite ESSO stated with confidence, “I know I’m gonna get it one day, and I know that day ain’t far.” Well, turns out the next plateau in the Harlem mainstay’s artistic grind really wasn’t far off – new single Calling Out is a celebratory cut which finds ESSO exulting in his recent achievements. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s resting on his laurels; as the freestyle series alum explains over a currently unknown beatsmith’s anthemic, synth-driven backdrop, “I won’t be happy till we talkin’ VMAs, gramaphone and even an Oscar, dare I say.” No motivational banger is complete without an appropriately soaring chorus; in this case, it’s Young Money singer Shanell who does the honors, setting aside the studio effects that earned The Other Side mixed reviews to deliver a genuinely soulful performance. Those who enjoyed this victorious joint can accompany ESSO on the latest stretch of his journey towards hip-hop eminence on March 1, when the emcee’s #yandilife street album arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 02/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)