On EP cut Someday, featured back in October 2010, Booth favorite ESSO stated with confidence, “I know I’m gonna get it one day, and I know that day ain’t far.” Well, turns out the next plateau in the Harlem mainstay’s artistic grind really wasn’t far off – new single Calling Out is a celebratory cut which finds ESSO exulting in his recent achievements. Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s resting on his laurels; as the freestyle series alum explains over a currently unknown beatsmith’s anthemic, synth-driven backdrop, “I won’t be happy till we talkin’ VMAs, gramaphone and even an Oscar, dare I say.” No motivational banger is complete without an appropriately soaring chorus; in this case, it’s Young Money singer Shanell who does the honors, setting aside the studio effects that earned The Other Side mixed reviews to deliver a genuinely soulful performance. Those who enjoyed this victorious joint can accompany ESSO on the latest stretch of his journey towards hip-hop eminence on March 1, when the emcee’s #yandilife street album arrives on the ‘net.
Written by richard on 02/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Change Your Life" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.