In 4’33”, the most famous conceptual work by American experimental composer John Cage, the performer is instructed to hold his or her instrument for the duration of the piece without playing a single note—the point being to draw attention to the ambient noise that surrounds us even when we think we’re sitting in complete silence. Needless to say, attunement to one’s environment is even more important in the hood than in a stuffy auditorium full of avant-garde classical fans. Thus, Esohel‘s set out to send a similar message with his latest single, Silence Is Golden. Except, you know, with sound. Ricky Dubs produces, serving up a subtly soulful piano loop to back the Chi-town emcee as he counsels listeners to keep their ear to the ground—and sucker emcees to keep their mouths shut. Windy City neighbor Add-2 echoes the headliner’s sentiments on the guest tip. Featuring this record, lead single Paid Dues and much more, Esohel’s On Purpose With a Purpose LP has yet to receive a solid drop date. Keep it locked for the latest!
Written by richard on 09/4/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.