Erik Hassle‘s last feature, late February’s Ready for You, found the RCA Records crooner so devastated by a recent breakup that he could barely eat or sleep. Well, I have good news and bad news: good news is, on freshly-released follow-up Innocence Lost, he seems to have found a new woman. The bad? Her mind games are driving him even crazier than his grief was before. An uncredited beatsmith establishes a doleful, yet ear-catching vibe behind the boards, mixing subtly bluesy keyboard chords with resolute brass and staccato synth stutters. In between the headliner’s lovesick verses, labelmate Tinashe grabs the mic to make a guest contribution. Notably, rather than speaking from the standpoint of the woman in question, the pop songstress echoes Hassle’s lamentations, crooning, “She’s everything, my concrete queen.” Fans will be able to find Innocence Lost and many more fresh cuts on the artist’s Somebody’s Party EP, set to hit record stores and online retailers at the top of this week.
Written by richard on 03/2/14
These "Meet" pieces just might be my favorite feature series; sharing music and turning people on to new dopeness is my favorite hobby. I don't think y'all realize how many BandCamp searches I do or how many hours I spend...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.