Eric Sosa isn’t new to the Booth, but it’s been a minute, so allow me to recap: way back in April 2010, the Queens repper introduced himself with promo cut The Heart, showcasing a dense, referential lyrical style that screamed for repeat spins. Though his bars were catnip for the hardcore heads, you wouldn’t expect such a knotty mic approach to play well on a more inspirational, pop-oriented jam. But you’d be wrong—making its world premiere in its finished form, new single One You finds Sosa tackling more emotional subject matter without sacrificing one iota of intellectual depth. Over the chilled-out synth stylings of Arbz the Wolf (one-half of Elite Entourage), the emcee drops motivational verses that drip with allusive wit from bar one “My peers told me the world was mine, while watching Tom chase Jerry(Jheri) with a curling iron…” Eclectic R&B buzzmaker Rocki Evans ties it all together, contributing the requisite dose of smoothness to the chorus. Sosa’s forthcoming, yet-untitled debut album, has yet to receive a drop date—keep it locked for further details! In addition, the artist will be celebrating the release of his first single to iTunes tomorrow, September 1, with a party at NYC’s New Era flagship store.
Written by richard on 08/31/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)