An 18-year-old beatsmith hailing from Austin, Texas, Eric Dingus boasts a rather surprising set of influences: along with hip-hop and electronic music, he states that he draws inspiration from “depression, Japanese horror movies and video game soundtracks.” While the combo may sound strange in theory, new single Teach You How to Love is evidence of just how well the pieces fit together in practice. Like many rising producers, Dingus exhibits a taste for ethereal synths and heavy reverb, but he undercuts the chill vibes with an tense, almost ominous rhythm section. A plaintive melody sampled from Lenna’s Theme, a cut off the soundtrack to SNES classic Final Fantasy V, runs through the composition. Has Eric hit upon a winning formula with his debut feature? Those leaning toward the affirmative can hear more on the artist’s Subliminal Innocence EP, available now via his official site.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!