When it comes to women, Eric Benét doesn’t discriminate—dark, light, short, tall, thick and thin are all right with him. As the veteran R&B singer reveals on his latest effort, however, there’s one particular look that never fails to turn him on—specifically, he’s into Redbone Girls. (That’s a light-skinned black person with traces of a third ethnicity, according to Urban Dictionary). The artist’s first feature since September 2008’s You’re the Only One, this freshly-released album standout finds Benét showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, hooking up with co-producer George Nash, Jr. and Curtis “Sauce” Wilson to craft a bluesy, brass-laced backdrop for verses dedicated to the caramel-colored woman of his dreams. Weezy F. Baby evidently concurs with the headliner’s taste in females. In a lusty middle verse, the YMCMB heavyweight describes his “type” in characteristically eccentric style: “I like ‘em light-skinned, lighter than a feather / And if she red-hot, I’m bitin’ that pepper.” Digging this funky, retro-informed banger? More awaits on Eric Benét’s The One LP, due out June 5, via Jordan House Records with distribution from EMI.
Jordan House Records/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"You're The Only One" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.