Epiphany‘s first and, to date, only non-freestyle feature, Five Dollas, found the up-and-comer living up to his lofty stage name, cutting through the myths and misconceptions to depict the reality of life as an indie rapper. With the second installment of his RESPECT mixtape series, the Little Rock native will focus his lyrical gaze on male-female relations – a knotty topic but, if the project’s first official leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) is any indication, one on which he has some equally sharp insights to offer. On Apology of Sorts, the artist ponders the vicious circle of abandonment that arises when a father skips town, leaving his son to grow up without a positive, responsible male role model. Needless to say, that’s a problem that can’t be solved in three minutes and 43 seconds, but Epiphany’s reflective rhymes and JP‘s subtle, lightly jazzy sampled beat add up to a track that’s both thought-provoking and ear-pleasing. RESPECT Pt. 2 (Womens), sponsored by none other than DJBooth.net, is set to hit our front page March 9, and those who haven’t already claimed their free download of Pt. 1 can get up to speed here.
Written by richard on 02/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"5 Dollas" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.