Epiphany‘s first and, to date, only non-freestyle feature, Five Dollas, found the up-and-comer living up to his lofty stage name, cutting through the myths and misconceptions to depict the reality of life as an indie rapper. With the second installment of his RESPECT mixtape series, the Little Rock native will focus his lyrical gaze on male-female relations – a knotty topic but, if the project’s first official leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) is any indication, one on which he has some equally sharp insights to offer. On Apology of Sorts, the artist ponders the vicious circle of abandonment that arises when a father skips town, leaving his son to grow up without a positive, responsible male role model. Needless to say, that’s a problem that can’t be solved in three minutes and 43 seconds, but Epiphany’s reflective rhymes and JP‘s subtle, lightly jazzy sampled beat add up to a track that’s both thought-provoking and ear-pleasing. RESPECT Pt. 2 (Womens), sponsored by none other than DJBooth.net, is set to hit our front page March 9, and those who haven’t already claimed their free download of Pt. 1 can get up to speed here.
Written by richard on 02/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"5 Dollas" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.