“If you want to get rich, don’t become a musician,” is a saying that comes up repeatedly in DJBooth interviews, but sometimes words aren’t quite enough to drive the point home. If you’re a visual learner, this video, created by Booth newcomer Epiphany, should give you an idea of just how glamorous the life of a rapper on the come-up really is. The struggle to sell CDs to cash-strapped passers-by may well have inspired this mixtape cut, which finds the Little Rock rapper pooling his spare change with beatsmith Ferocious to come up with a whopping 5 Dollas. Despite being damned near broke, Piph clearly has the skills to pay the bills, as do his collaborators. Ferocious serves up a bouncy beat fueled by swung percussion and bar room piano as the emcee spits agile, engaging verses brimming with recession-friendly swagger, and fellow Ark. native Gina Gee ties it all together with a infectious sung hook. Will Piph’s talent ultimately translate to big bucks? Only time will tell. Those who like what they’re hearing can expect more hip-hop gold in October, when the artist kicks off his Respect mixtape series.
Written by richard on 09/23/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stuck Flow" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.