From the Epic of Gilgamesh, to the Iliad, to La Chanson De Roland, epic poems share a number of key characteristics—among the defining features (as listed by Wikipedia) are vast settings, divine intervention in human affairs and repeated invocations. And, if I may add to the list, they tend to involve clashing armies and accordingly massive body counts. Carrying on in this illustrious tradition, Booth newcomer Epick chronicles his quest to create revolution through art on new single Kill or Be Killed. Over his and Keith Witty‘s deceptively low-key, rock-informed instrumental, the NYC rapper/producer describes the socioeconomic (and often literal) war that rages unchecked in inner-city ‘hoods everywhere, and details his own efforts to rise above his embattled environment with only a microphone as his weapon. The odds may be long, but Epick has formidable allies; fighting by his side on this joint is Big Apple phenom Soul Khan, who contributes a characteristically vivid, hard-hitting 16 on the back end. Like what you’re hearing? This up-and-comer’s saga is set to continue in December, with the release of his Epick Proportions LP.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.