From the Epic of Gilgamesh, to the Iliad, to La Chanson De Roland, epic poems share a number of key characteristics—among the defining features (as listed by Wikipedia) are vast settings, divine intervention in human affairs and repeated invocations. And, if I may add to the list, they tend to involve clashing armies and accordingly massive body counts. Carrying on in this illustrious tradition, Booth newcomer Epick chronicles his quest to create revolution through art on new single Kill or Be Killed. Over his and Keith Witty‘s deceptively low-key, rock-informed instrumental, the NYC rapper/producer describes the socioeconomic (and often literal) war that rages unchecked in inner-city ‘hoods everywhere, and details his own efforts to rise above his embattled environment with only a microphone as his weapon. The odds may be long, but Epick has formidable allies; fighting by his side on this joint is Big Apple phenom Soul Khan, who contributes a characteristically vivid, hard-hitting 16 on the back end. Like what you’re hearing? This up-and-comer’s saga is set to continue in December, with the release of his Epick Proportions LP.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.