Much of the Booth discussion leading up to the release of Relapse revolved around one question: will the “serious Eminem” make an appearance? Lead single We Made You, follow-up 3 AM, and leaked cut Old Time’s Sake showcased Shady’s celeb-baiting, bloodthirsty, and blunted personae (respectively), but where was Marshall Mathers, the earnest, tortured artist who brought us cuts like The Way I Am? As it turns out, he’s right here on track 17, which has now been chosen as the LP’s third single. Over his own downtempo, guitar-driven beat (sampled from Rock Therapy’s Reaching Out), Em spits three cathartic verses centered around his quest to stay true to himself, entreating listeners, “Don’t let ‘em say you ain’t Beautiful.” Brimming with heartfelt pathos, this might not be the most intensely personal track on Relapse (Deja Vu gets my vote), but it’s the perfect record to remind mainstream listeners that behind all the cartoonish humor and maniacal rape/murder fantasies exists a human being with a downright sentimental side—and that divide is what made Em so fascinating to begin with, right?
Written by richard on 05/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smack That" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.