In line with the “acoustic soul” trend, reintroduced by artists such as Corinne Bailey Rae and Robin Thicke, J Records introduces the newest artist in that style, Emily King. Walk in My Shoes, the debut single from her upcoming album East Side Story, sends the message that every music artist’s debut single should: that she’s a go-getta and takes control of her own destiny, therefore doing whatever it takes to get her name out. Lupe Fiasco‘s guest verse sounds like he’s been listening to a bunch of Eminem, with a non-stop flow full of accented syllables (it’s a Midwest thing), and a guitar beat also similiar to Em’s (upbeat drum patterns and bass guitar riffs.) Overall, this single is set up perfectly for King to become the latest artist to popularize the resurgence of acoustic soul.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!