In line with the “acoustic soul” trend, reintroduced by artists such as Corinne Bailey Rae and Robin Thicke, J Records introduces the newest artist in that style, Emily King. Walk in My Shoes, the debut single from her upcoming album East Side Story, sends the message that every music artist’s debut single should: that she’s a go-getta and takes control of her own destiny, therefore doing whatever it takes to get her name out. Lupe Fiasco‘s guest verse sounds like he’s been listening to a bunch of Eminem, with a non-stop flow full of accented syllables (it’s a Midwest thing), and a guitar beat also similiar to Em’s (upbeat drum patterns and bass guitar riffs.) Overall, this single is set up perfectly for King to become the latest artist to popularize the resurgence of acoustic soul.
Written by Burmy on 07/23/07
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.