In line with the “acoustic soul” trend, reintroduced by artists such as Corinne Bailey Rae and Robin Thicke, J Records introduces the newest artist in that style, Emily King. Walk in My Shoes, the debut single from her upcoming album East Side Story, sends the message that every music artist’s debut single should: that she’s a go-getta and takes control of her own destiny, therefore doing whatever it takes to get her name out. Lupe Fiasco‘s guest verse sounds like he’s been listening to a bunch of Eminem, with a non-stop flow full of accented syllables (it’s a Midwest thing), and a guitar beat also similiar to Em’s (upbeat drum patterns and bass guitar riffs.) Overall, this single is set up perfectly for King to become the latest artist to popularize the resurgence of acoustic soul.
Written by Burmy on 07/23/07
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.