As anyone with an Internet connection and even a passing interest in dope hip-hop knows, lately Emilio Rojas has been putting out new material like Tyler Perry puts out Medea sequels. Did that make sense? Either way, instead of tearing apart my questionable analogy choices let’s focus on the new music, namely Emilio’s new mixtape standout On My Own. Like much of his recent work, On’s production takes a darker turn as beatsmith WillPower juxtaposes a lighter piano line with crunching bass and snapping percussion (this sound like old school Outkast to anyone else?). In between some typically untypical vocals from SPEAKHER singer Nikkya, Emilio takes on the common man’s struggle. Or to be more specific, the common man’s struggle to overcome the common man’s haters: “My life is a movie, you got no part in it / I’m in parties that only stars enter.” If you’re liking On My Own then you’re going to love Rojas’ upcoming mixtape, Breaking Point, presented by BBC Ice Cream, hosted by DJ Green Lantern and set to drop “soon,” which is code for “we don’t know, we’ll tell you when we figure it out.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Vibe Wit Me ft. Emilio Rojas" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.