As anyone with an Internet connection and even a passing interest in dope hip-hop knows, lately Emilio Rojas has been putting out new material like Tyler Perry puts out Medea sequels. Did that make sense? Either way, instead of tearing apart my questionable analogy choices let’s focus on the new music, namely Emilio’s new mixtape standout On My Own. Like much of his recent work, On’s production takes a darker turn as beatsmith WillPower juxtaposes a lighter piano line with crunching bass and snapping percussion (this sound like old school Outkast to anyone else?). In between some typically untypical vocals from SPEAKHER singer Nikkya, Emilio takes on the common man’s struggle. Or to be more specific, the common man’s struggle to overcome the common man’s haters: “My life is a movie, you got no part in it / I’m in parties that only stars enter.” If you’re liking On My Own then you’re going to love Rojas’ upcoming mixtape, Breaking Point, presented by BBC Ice Cream, hosted by DJ Green Lantern and set to drop “soon,” which is code for “we don’t know, we’ll tell you when we figure it out.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Vibe Wit Me ft. Emilio Rojas" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.